Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A roof for my Kiln




I attended a kiln building workshop in mid march in Mt. Pleasant, PA to gain some needed skills and experience on building kilns. When I came back I was ready to build, but first I needed a roof!
I layed out some basic dimensions for the kiln (and decided to use the hand dug kiln as a smoke trail leading to the same chimney) and built my roof around that. I was able to use some old Chestnut posts that I scavenged with a friend out of an old barn and some Locust posts that were cut by my neighbor. They are not exactly straight, but they got character. I used 2"x6"'s for the roof supports and 2"x4"'s for the purlins. It will receive a metal roof as soon as it comes in (metal locally made at a wheeling-pitt factory and bought through my local hardware store). Once the roof is up then I can focus on the actual Kiln!
You can check out more pictures of the roof construction at http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefflthompson/sets/72157604373310113/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you are a very thorough artist- if more people thought out their decisions as well as you do with your art, the world would be a more complete place.

Anonymous said...

that looks cool so far, and i like how you are using locally made metal. i bet it's going to be amazing when its done!